Tuesday, September 29, 2009

How I got here

I moved to the 'hood on November 12th 1988. My husband, Victor, and I got married that day and since he lived here, I got to live here too. I grew up in East Sacramento, right across the street from McKinley Park. Though we had hard times because my parents divorced, I'm grateful that I grew up in a safe and beautiful neighborhood.
Moving to Oak Park was an adjustment and in the early years I had a lot to get used to. There were about 3 homes that were condemned on our block, some apartments with just-released- from-jail tenants, prostitutes and eccentrics.
We made our home here and raised 4 kids here. Two are my step-sons. They are grown and married and on their own. Two are the kids I helped to 'make' Simon, 18 and in college. Sterling, 15 and in her jr year of high school.
The street we live on now is very diverse. I really like it that way. Never a dull moment in the 'hood.
Recently, we got rid of a group of people a few doors down, who were selling drugs and pimping and being prostitutes. As a result, a group of us moms have formed a Neighborhood Watch group. I named us "Band of Mothers" We want to keep the bad guys out and make it safe for families to enjoy their street.

3 comments:

  1. Good Blog Sis! Funny I have been thinking about starting one too. ButI feel a little weird about people reading it though:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me just say, you really do not want to mess with the Band of Mothers...no joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know if I wanted anyone to read mine either. Then Victor read it and got all fired up. So, there ya go.

    ReplyDelete